This page will be updated regularly with news and documents. AGENDA: Big picture Friday, September 25 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (connecting time to begin at 8:30 a.m.) Saturday, September 26 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Indigenous event. Details to come. 2 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. (connecting time to begin at 1:30 p.m.) Sunday, September 27 2 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Block off in case more time is needed and/or technical difficulties arise during previous days of meeting. FULL AGENDA: Details Friday, September 25 8:30-9 AM...
Tag: Annual meeting
- General Council Office Reorganization, July 2020 July 16, 2020Responding to the changing needs of the church, while continuing toward the goal of reducing GCO expenditures, a number of positions have been eliminated at the General Council Office.
- Executive Starts Work to Become Anti-Racist Denomination June 24, 2020The 43rd General Council’s electronic meeting on June 20,2020, received as new business the proposal Towards an Anti-Racist Denomination.
- General Council 44 Has Been Postponed June 20, 2020In light of concerns around COVID-19, the decision has been made to postpone GC44, previously slated for July 2021 in Calgary, AB, to 2022.
- Black Lives Matter in the United Church June 19, 2020The General Council Executive issued a statement on June 18, 2020, confirming unequivocally that Black Lives Matter to The United Church of Canada.
- Celebrating Pride in the United Church June 8, 2020The United Church affirms that gender and sexuality are gifts of God. This June, we invite all people of faith to celebrate the lives and ministry of LGBTQIA+ and Two-Spirit people across the United Church and beyond.
- Church Leaders Acknowledge the Racism in Their Midst June 2, 2020The Moderator calls the struggle against anti-Black racism to be the work of White members of the church, and the time has come to commit themselves to this work.
- Fifth Anniversary: Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action June 2, 2020June 2 is the fifth anniversary of the 94 Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC). There is still much work to do, within the church and within Canadian society.
- Revised Statement on Medical Assistance in Dying June 1, 2020On May 25, 2020, the General Council Executive accepted updates to the church’s statement on Medical Assistance in Dying.
- Urging Canada to Help Uphold Human Rights in the West Bank May 27, 2020In a joint letter to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, the United Church joins with other leaders in urging Canada to comply with international law by publicly opposing the government of Israel's plan to annex occupied Palestinian territory.
- Possible Postponement of General Council 44 May 26, 2020Commissioners of the 43rd General Council will meet on June 20, 2020 to consider moving General Council 44 from 2021 to 2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.