The Assembly of Elders
The Assembly of Elders is the executive of the East Central Ontario Regional Council (ECORC) of The United Church of Canada. The presiding officer of the Assembly of Elders is called the Speaker.
The vision of the Assembly of Elders by which we evaluate progress is based on:
- Supporting and enhancing the life of Communities of Faith where ministry takes place
- Nurturing Social Justice and Outreach programs
- Building Communications
Three council structure
As of January 1, 2019, The United Church of Canada adopted a three-council structure, consisting of communities of faith, regional councils and a denominational council. The East Central Ontario Regional Council is one of 16 new regional councils in The United Church of Canada, replacing former conferences and presbyteries.
This Handbook contains an outline of the East Central Ontario Regional Council (ECORC) governance structure; descriptions of its leadership teams; and terms of reference for its policies. Updated as of September 2020. Download or read online by clicking the link below.
Assembly of Elders Minutes
2018 Action of Transition Commission
Please note: This list includes regular in-person and interim (zoom) meetings
- Friday January 10, 2020 ~ 9am-12pm ZOOM
- Friday February 7, 2020 ~ 9am – 12 ZOOM
- Friday March 12, 2020 ~ 10am -12pm ZOOM
- Friday April 3, 2020 ~ 9am -12pm ZOOM
- Friday May 8, 2020 ~ 9am -12pm ZOOM
- Friday June 12, 2020 ~ 9am – 12pm ZOOM
- Friday September 11, 2020 ~ 9am – 12pm ZOOM
- September 24-26, ZOOM
- Friday, October 2, 2020 ~ 9am – 12pm ZOOM
- Friday, October 9, 2020 ~ 9am – 12pm ZOOM
- Friday, October 23, 2020 ~ 9am – 12pm ZOOM
- Friday, November 27, 2020 ~ 9am – 12pm ZOOM
- Friday, January 29, 2021 ~ 9am – 12pm ZOOM
Speaker (Presiding Officer)
Corresponding (non-voting) Members
Regional Council meeting minutes
2020 Meeting, September 25-26
Fall business meeting, November 9, 2019
Inaugural meeting May 31-June 2, 2019
From the Manual
From The Manual (2019) p. 81
C. Regional Council | C.3 Organization | C.3.1 Executive
The regional council is responsible for appointing an executive to do the continuing work of the regional council when the regional council is not meeting.
The executive must consist, to the extent possible, of a balance of ministry personnel and lay members who are not ministry personnel.
The executive has all of the responsibilities of the regional council, unless the regional council has decided otherwise.
The executive must report its actions to the regional council for information and for inclusion in the minutes of the regional council.
C.3.2 Committees and Other Bodies
The regional council may fulfill its responsibilities with the help of officers, committees, task groups, steering groups, teams, and other bodies, as determined by the regional council. The regional council must designate a member to fill the role of the leading Elder or presiding officer under section D.1.1 d).