The Assembly of Elders
The Assembly of Elders is the executive of the East Central Ontario Regional Council (ECORC) of The United Church of Canada. The presiding officer of the Assembly of Elders is called the Speaker.
The vision of the Assembly of Elders by which we evaluate progress is based on:
- Supporting and enhancing the life of Communities of Faith where ministry takes place
- Nurturing Social Justice and Outreach programs
- Building Communications
Three council structure
As of January 1, 2019, The United Church of Canada adopted a three-council structure, consisting of communities of faith, regional councils and a denominational council. The East Central Ontario Regional Council is one of 16 new regional councils in The United Church of Canada, replacing former conferences and presbyteries.
This Handbook contains an outline of the East Central Ontario Regional Council (ECORC) governance structure; descriptions of its leadership teams; and terms of reference for its policies. Updated as of April 30, 2022. Download or read online by clicking the link below.
From the Manual
From The Manual (2022) p. 81
C. Regional Council | C.3 Organization | C.3.1 Executive
The regional council is responsible for appointing an executive to do the continuing work of the regional council when the regional council is not meeting.
The executive must consist, to the extent possible, of a balance of ministry personnel and lay members who are not ministry personnel.
The executive has all of the responsibilities of the regional council, unless the regional council has decided otherwise.
The executive must report its actions to the regional council for information and for inclusion in the minutes of the regional council.
C.3.2 Committees and Other Bodies
The regional council may fulfill its responsibilities with the help of officers, committees, task groups, steering groups, teams, and other bodies, as determined by the regional council. The regional council must designate a member to fill the role of the leading Elder or presiding officer under section D.1.1 d).
2023 Assembly of Elders Meeting Schedule
Please note: This list includes regular in-person and interim (zoom) meetings and take place from 9am to noon unless otherwise stated
- Friday, January 27, 2023
- Friday, February 24, 2023
- Friday, March 31, 2023
- Friday, April 28, 2023
- Tuesday, May 30, 2023
- Tuesday, June 27, 2023
- Tuesday, September 5, 2023
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023
- Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Assembly of Elders Minutes
Please note, there will be no Assembly of Elder’s Meeting in July, August, October or December. Minutes are posted a month after each meeting. October’s minutes below are a continuation of our September meeting.
2018 Action of Transition Commission
Speaker (Presiding Officer)
Corresponding (non-voting) Members
- Joel Miller, Program Assistant to the Executive Minister and Recording Secretary
- The Reverend Darren Liepold, Pastoral Relations Minister
- Sharon Hull, Minister for Spiritual Nurture, Respectful Relationships and Justice with All Ages
- The Reverend Rodney Smith-Merkley, Minister for Respectful Relationship and Indigenous Justice
- Karen Wilson, Communications and Administration Assistant
- The Reverend Roger Janes, Stewardship & Gifts Officer, Philanthropy Unit
- The Reverend Lillian Roberts, Vocational Minister – Ministry Personnel Accountability
- The Reverend Caroline Penhale, Vocational Minister responsible for the Candidacy Pathway